Equal opportunity commission of the Department
Dekanat der Fakultät für Physik und Astronomie
Im Neuenheimer Feld 226
This committee is headed by Juniorprofessor Dr. habil. Loredana Gastaldo
Tel: +49 6221 54 9886
Since our work benefits from new ideas, other opinions and experiences, we cordially invite everyone who is interested in the topic of "equality" to support our commission through their cooperation! Please send us an e-mail if you have ideas, suggestions, problems, wishes, questions about our work or if you are interested in working with us!
Acceptable conditions for integrating a professional career into a sustainable life plan including family and children is an important step towards ensuring equal opportunities. We provide information about various funding programs that support women working in science, especially those with children or those returning to work. Our tasks also include participating in appointment procedures as well as in the meetings of the Faculty Council and intervening in cases of discrimination, especially on the basis of gender. All women and men employed at the faculty who feel disadvantaged because of their gender or for other reasons are welcome to contact us for support.
§20: Equal Opportunity Officer of the University
(1) The rights and duties of the Equal Opportunity Officer and his or her deputies are governed by §4 LHG. Their terms of office shall be two years. The Equal Opportunity Officer has the right to propose deputies.
(2) The Equal Opportunity Officer has the right to address the university public in fulfillment of his or her duties.
§21: Advisory Equal Opportunity Commission
If the Senate establishes an advisory Equal Opportunity Commission, the Commission shall be informed of all matters falling within its remit and shall receive for this purpose from the University administration and the faculties all statistical and other information it deems necessary for its work, unless this conflicts with legal provisions or the will of the persons concerned. In this regard, its members are subject to the legal duty of confidentiality.
§22: Faculty Equal Opportunity Officer
(1) The Faculty Councils, in consultation with the University Equal Opportunity Officer, shall elect a Faculty Equal Opportunity Officer and one or more deputies. The Faculty Equal Opportunity Officer shall have the right to attend meetings of the Faculty Council in an advisory capacity.
(2) Without prejudice to the rights of the University Equal Opportunity Officer pursuant to §20 (1), the Faculty Equal Opportunity Officer shall be informed of all matters falling within his or her scope of duties and may inspect the necessary documents, unless this is precluded by legal provisions or the will of the persons concerned. In doing so, he is subject to the legal duty of confidentiality.
§4: "Equal opportunities for women and men".
(1) The universities shall promote the actual implementation of equal opportunities for women and men in the performance of all tasks and shall take this into account as a consistent guiding principle; they shall work towards the elimination of existing disadvantages[...].
(3) The Equal Opportunity Officer shall cooperate in the implementation of the constitutionally required equal opportunities for women and men and in the elimination of existing disadvantages for academically active women as well as female students. The Equal Opportunity Officer shall participate in the meetings of the Faculty and Section Councils and the appointment and selection committees in an advisory capacity; [...].
(4) The Equal Opportunity Officer also has the task of being the contact person for academically active women and female students in cases of sexual harassment. Without prejudice to the responsibility of university bodies and committees, she shall work to ensure that women and students working in science are protected from sexual harassment. Information about the personal and factual circumstances of those concerned may not be passed on to third parties or otherwise exploited without consent. [...]
The unabridged texts of the constitution can be found on the page of the Equal Opportunity Commission of the University, the basic regulations of the university here.
Information on funding programs and scholarships for female scientists, especially those with children, can be found on the website of the University's Equal Opportunity Commission. There you can also find more detailed information about the application period and application requirements.
If you have any questions or problems regarding scholarships and funding programs, we will be happy to help and advise you in a conversation or by e-mail!
Equal opportunity officer of the University:
Student organisation for physics & astronomy, maths, and computing:
Links for people interested in learning which initiatives are organized in Europe and the US:
List of articles related to women in physics:
European Physical Society
Networking: The European Platform of Women Scientists is an international organization dealing with the status of women in research. Information on events, funding possibilities and news related to women in science can be found here:
Final Report of the 2018 AAS Task Force on Diversity and Inclusion
in Astronomy Graduate Education
Networking: GENERA is a Horizon 2020 project which is dedicated mainly to support women in physics:
Women, minorities and LGBT in physics from the US perspective:
Bachelor seminar on women in physics:
AstroFrauenNetzwerk, Arbeitskreis der Astronomischen Gesellschaft (Deutschland):
IAU (International Astronomical Union) Working Group on Women in Astronomy:
IAU (International Astronomical Union) Working Group on Astronomy for Equity and Inclusion:
AAS (American Astronomical Society) Committee on the Status of Women in Astronomy:
DPG Working Group on Equal Opportunities (AKC):